Thursday, December 07, 2006

Fish theft warning posters in 11 languages

If you click this link, you can download and print off posters in 11 different languages which carry the following warning from the Environment Agency about fish theft:


Anyone aged 12 years or over who fishes for salmon,
trout, freshwater fish or eels in England or Wales must
have a valid Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence.

• Rod Licences are available from every Post Office in
England & Wales. Failure to produce a valid licence could
result in prosecution and a fine of up to £2500.

• A Rod Licence does not give you permission to fish,
therefore you also need the permission from the owner of
the water before you start fishing.

• A rod licence does not give you the right to take fish from
any water. This will depend on local byelaws and you must
have permission from the owner of the water where you are
fishing. Anybody caught taking fish without permission is
liable to be prosecuted under the Theft Act.
Fishing Close Seasons (months when fishing is NOT

• Fishing close seasons exist on all rivers and streams in the
UK. The times of these close seasons vary locally and you
are advised to contact your local Environment Agency
office for more details. For canals and stillwaters – this
includes all lakes and ponds - you must contact the owner
to check if there is a close season on their waters.

Please call the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506
for more details if you are unsure of the close seasons
on any