Monday, June 18, 2007

The next big thing..?

Top US muskie guide Jon Bondy has perfected a different technique which could be the next big thing for pike fishing too - deep jigging with big swimbaits.

"I use 8-foot rods with 80-pound braided line, and when you get a strike, it just about pulls your arms out of their sockets. I think it's the most exciting kind of fishing I've ever tried," said Bondy.

"I got the idea about six years ago. I used to catch muskies on small jigs when I was fishing for walleyes, and I started wondering what would happen if I tried deep jigging with a bigger bait, something the size of the suckers that muskies like to eat," he said. "I couldn't find anything that fit the bill, so I decided to make my own."

For more on Bondy's technique and the hybrid rubber lures he has developed, click here.